Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tomatoes are worrisome

I am fairly obsessed with my tomatoes. When I bought the plant, it was full of blossoms and had 3 fruit. Since putting it outside in the L-shape, I found it suffering a massive blossom drop, and only 1 more fruit developed. I am not exactly sure but I think it is the extremely high humidity at the apartment, and the insufficient sunlight. But I feel vaguely comforted by a fellow redditor's reassurance that the fact that I am near the equator would mean that the sunlight that the plants get in those few hours would be sufficient. I try to water them in the mornings before I go out, to ensure consistency in the fruit.
My Zinnia which I have barely rescued from my noobishness
The tomato plant I bought came with a smaller "sub-plant" in the pot. A few weeks ago, after the great Zinnia mystery, I decided to split the tomato plants. So using a spade, I mercilessly cut downwards between the plants and pulled out the smaller plant and replanted it in its own pot. It was a good thing I did that because the main plant seems to be developing some bacterial disease. It has some yellow spots on its leaves.
Yellow spots on my tomato leaves
I just found out that my little tomato plant (I call it the "sub-plant") is sprouting 2 flowers. I am very glad, because this means I am doing things correctly. I am waiting for the flowers to come out and then I will invade them with my paintbrush to spread the pollen.
Tomato sub plant on right and Mr Aloe Vera on left. I am super great at aloe vera. It is the only plant I have never killed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!